Esercizio 1 di pagina 413
1) Excuse me, could you tell me the time?
2) “Kelly!!! Stop shouting!!!”, mum said to me.
3) Laurie told her sister she would get married to Rob as soon as possible.
4) Morgana is very good at saying people’s fortunes.
5) “let’s have an ice-cream now!, Oliver told us.
6) “Don’t say yes if you aren’t convinced!” my husband said.
7) A:The new pub will be a great success! B:Who says so?
8) We have just told them that they have to make less noise during the day.
Esercizio 2 di pagina 413
1) Come on, tell me something about your holiday!
2) Do you know where Florence is? She said she would get home earlier but she’s not here.
3) Mum, I just told Timothy to hurry up but he is still having a shower!
4) Sarah went to the doctor yesterday. He said that she should rest for about 20 days.
5) If you see India, she tells you everything about her new job.
6) Why are you standing there without said a single word? What’s happened?
7) Every time I ask my husband to help me, he tells me he can’t!
8) Anya wanted to forget what we said some days before.
Esercizio 3 di pagina 413
Allora, Esme, dimmi qualcosa della tua prima lezione di guida. Ti è piaciuta?
Don’t say anything else, Mum… It was a total disaster… the instructor says that he doesn’t want to see me again!
Non dire altro. Mamma… è stato un disastro totale.. l’istruttore ha detto che non vuole vedermi più!
What did you do to make him to tell that? I know him well and he’s a very sweet man…
Che cosa hai fatto per fargli dire questa cosa? Lo conosco bene ed è un uomo molto dolce…
Well, he told me to fasten the clutch but I pulled it so hard that I broken it… and then he told me to release the handbrake but it was very hard and I had to use both hands… and I have only go two hands I couldn’t keep them on the steering wheel! Ana the car was in first gear, so the car began to move forward…
Beh, lui ha detto di premere la frizione ma l’ho premuta troppo forte e l’ho rotta…, poi mi ha detto
di tirare il freno a amno ma era davvero difficile e dovevo usare due mani… e ho solo due mani io, non potevo toglierle dal volante.
And what he says to you? Did he get angry?
E cosa ti ha detto? Si è arrabbiato?
He doesn’t say anything… he was astonished… but the worst still to come… He tells me to press gently press down on the the handbrake … but it was under so much pressure that I put my left foot on the brake… and I made him bang his head on the windscreen!!!
Non ha detto niente… si è astenuto… ma il peggio deve venire… mi ha detto di premere delicatamente il freno a mano… ma era così sotto pressione che ho messo il mio piede sinistro su di esso… gli ho fatto sbattere la testa sul parabrezza!!!
Oh dear… Now I understand why hr says that he doesn’t want to see you again…
Oh cara, ora ho capito perche ha detto che non vuole vederti mai più…
Tha’ts not all… He always told m eto look in the rear view mirror… and I did it, but to do so, I didn’t look at the road and..
Non è tutto… midiceva sempre di guardare lo specchietto retrovisore… Io lo fscevo, ma per farlo non ho guardato la strada e…
Don’t tell me you have an accident!
Non dirmi che hai fatto un incidente!
No, no but we were driving along the ring road and I missed three exits, so we got back to the driving school an hour late!
No, no ma abbimo guidato in tangenziale, per tre volte ho mancato l’uscita e siamo tornati alla scuola guida un ora dopo!
Esercizio 4 di pagina 413
A: How was your first driving lesson?
B: It was quite good, but I make some mistakes.
A: What did you do?
B: I didn’t give precedence to the other car.
A: What did the istructor tell you?
B: He told me that next time I should pay more attention.
Esercizio 9 di pagina 415
1) “I’m late. Can you come to pick up me in my office?” she told us.
2) Joan said that she hadn’t liked the film on Julius Caesar because it was very imprecise on historical facts.
3) Michela had been talking on the phone for two hours with her boyfriend. He was telling her that their story couldn’t continue and instead she told him she couldn’t live without him.
4) I never understand what my father-in-law says because he speaks a dialect I don’t know!
5) I have the Chinese’s exam the next mounth. Do you think uncle Luke could help me? Yes. He speaks Chinese very well and he doesn’t work in this period.
6) Can you tell me the correct hour? I’m sorry, my watch doesn’t work.
7) A)Could I speak to the director? B)He isn’t here, today. What do you have to tell him?
8) A)Why were you talking about me when I came in the class? B)You’re wrong, we weren’t talking about you.
Esercizio 1 di pagina 32
1) NASA engineers at mission control in Houston. D
2) The capsule splashed down in the sea. E
3) The launch of Apollo 13. C
4) Earth seen from the moon. A
5) Astronauts who were on board the spacecraft. B
Esercizio 2 di pagina 32
1) It was flying to the moon.
2) For the first two days the spacecraft seemed to be in excellent conditions, when several hours later, the crew heard a loud explosion.
3) The NASA engineers helped the astronauts solve the problem.
4) The astronauts spend five days in space, from 13 April to 17 April.
Esercizio 3 di pagina 32
Reg Turnill found out there was a problem with Apollo 13 when he was getting ready for bed. B
The workers at mission control were playing to walk on the moon. A
The spacecraft lost most of its fuel very slowly. D
NASA engineers immediately formed a big team to fix the problem. C
The main problem on boar was very little oxygen and water. A
Where do you think this text is from? C
Esercizio 4 di pagina 32
1) Small door-hatch
2) Thought of/produced- came up with
3) Understand-figure out
4) Working- on duty
5) Not be worried anymore- breathe a sigh of relief
6) Getting less and less-running out
7) Shout happily-cheer
8) Doing/taking part in- carrying out
Esercizio 5 di pagina 32
In 1962, US President JF Kennedy promised to moon before 1970. It was seven more years before NASA figured out how to do it. In July 1969, when time was running out, three astronauts carried out the historic mission on board Apollo 11. American astronaut Neil Armstrong opened the hatch and became the first man to walk on the moon. In Houston engineers who were on duty at mission control breathe a sigh of relief when they saw Armstrong step onto the moon. All over the world, people were watching TV and they cheer as they heard Armstrong say his famous words: “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”. Armstrong came up with his famous words after landing on the moon.
Esercizio 6 di pagina 32
1) My parents were studying when they met. X
2) My computer crushed when I was doing my homework last night. V
3) I was watching TV when my mum got home yesterday. V
4) It was raining when I woke up this morning. X
5) I burned myself when I was making breakfast. X
6) A friend texted me when I was walking to school.
Esercizio 7 di pagina 32
following the events
fix a problem
raise your hand.
A: Hey, did you see how Emma trated me yesterday?
B: Oh yes, she was very arrogant.
A: I can’t stand it! When she speaks it is very irritating!
B: I agree with you.
A: She is a false person because she shows herself very helpful and kind, but then she shoves, she is very dishonest and selfish!
B: However unfortunately she is very self-confident, outgoing and therefore seems very convincing when she speaks.
A: You are right!