Text: English Pass
Task: Practicing forms (comparatives)
- January is generally colder than December:
- The population of Milan was bigger years ago than it is now.
- It's safer to travel by public transport than by car.
- Cigarettes and alcohol are cheaper in Italy than in England.
- Can you please drive more carefully? The road is icy.
- My cold's much worse today than it was yesterday.
Task:Exercise B pag 23
- Jumbo is more economcal than Concorde, but Concorde is much faster.
- Lead is heavier than gold, but gold is much more expensive
- Rolls Royce is more comfortable than Ferrari, but Ferrari is much more exhilarating.
Task: Exercise C pag 237
- You certainly need to study harder if you want to pass the exam.
- My sister is expecting another baby so she is looking for a lager flat.
- Do it that way if you want to, but it will be more interesting than you think.
- Why don't you take things more seriously ? It's all one big joke to you.
- "How far is the village?" Two kilomotres?" " no, I think it's farther."
- I hope the next exercise is more difficult than this one.
Task: Exercise D pag 237
- Francis does more sport than Simon, he is more athletic and a better swimmer too.
- He earns more than his friend, that's why he travels much more than Simon.
- On the other hand Simon can speak more foreign languages and definitely reads many more books than Francis. Which of the two is more attractive in your opinion?.
Task: Exercise E pag 237
- He's so depressed.
- Yes, he's more and more depressed.
- You're very strong
- Yes, you're stronger and stronger.
- It's dangerous to go out at night.
- Yes, it's gettino more and more dangerous.
- The weather's bad .
- Yes, it's getting worse and worse.
- Those comedians are very popular
- Yes, they're getting more and more popular.
- Susy is really tall.
- Yes, she's getting taller and taller
Task : Exercise F pag 237
Let's speak English . The more you practise , the more fluent you get
The less fattering food you eat , the better it is for your health.
You go to bed too late. The less you sleep, the more stressed you get
The older he gets , the more obstinate he becomes.
Task: Exercise A pag 238
- I go to see granny as often as I can
- Mrs Grimstone looks strist,but she's as sweet as pie
- I'm not going swimming . The water is as cold as ice!
- I'll phone you back as soon as I can
- We can't afford anything as expensive a cruise.
- I hadn't seen a match as exciting as that for ages.
Task: Exercise B pag 238
- No, she got fewer friends than I expected.
- No, it is less strong than I expected
- Yes, he made fewer mistakes than I expected.
- Yes, it was less boring than I expected.
- Yes, they sold fewer painting than I expected.
- Yes, it was Less difficult than I expected.
Task: Exercise C pag 238
- It's not fair. You ‘ve got less homework than us.
- There was a buffet lunch at the hotel so you could eat as much as you liked
- We didn't like the theme park. There were fewer attractions than we thought.
- The tickets for the concert didn't costa as much as we expected
- It was a relaxing trip. There were fewer cars around than
- In a soccer team there aren't as many players as in a rugby team
Task: Exercise D pag 239
- As ostinate as a mule
- As gentle as a lamb.
- As fata as a pig
- As blind a s a bat.
- As busy as a bee
- As cunning as a fox.
- As round as a peacock
- As brave as a lion
Task: Exercise E pag 239
- Your PC is older than mine.
- My PC isn't as old as yours.
- David and Sue speak better English than we do
- We don't speak English as good as them.
- The Ferrari went faster than the Williams
- The Williams didn't go as fast as the Ferrari.
- The south is sunnier than the north
- The north is not as sunny as the south.
- The thief was more cunning than the policeman.
- The policemen wasn't as cunning as the thief.
- Her scooter is more expensive than mine.
- My scooter is not as expensive as hers
- For your holidays you spent more than us.
- For our holidays we didn't spend as much as you did
- Has olive oil got more calories than butter?
- Has butter got as many calories as olive oil?
Task: Exercise F pag 239
- Adam looks older than Beth, but they are both 17. Adam is the same age as Beth.
- Ted's birthday is on 7 May and so is Kit's. Kit's birthday is on the same day as Ted's.
- We both have got brown eyes. Your eyes are the same color as mine.
- I like tha acoustic guitar and you like it, too. You like the same instrument as I do.
- You and your sister take size 8 shoses. Your sister takes the same size as you.